Overwhelmed!

Overwhelmed!

Yes, this has been my ‘state’ for a while now. I just feel like it’s all a bit much and wonder how much more of these stuffs I could take. So much rhetorics about looking inwards and getting strength from within, all loads of crap. When you are overwhelmed, you are overwhelmed, there’s no two ways about it. Neither can you draw strength from ‘within’ cos at that point, you are ’emptied out’. Do you draw water from a dry well?

The only option is to draw strength from outward sources. Albeit those sources might not be what is needed or even helpful in the long run, one clings to it for temporal relief. According to Karl Marx, ‘religion is the opium of the masses’, I have often found that so many of us ‘overwhelmed folks’ cling to religion, not because we love God, we have made it a ‘coping mechanism’ to distract us from the reality of our lives. Others find solace in drugs, alcohol, sex, deviancy and cultism/fraternity and all sorts.

Let’s face it, we all want to be part of something right? Abraham Maslow got that right with his ‘hierarchy of needs’ table. I need you, you need me. We need each other. We are conditioned to ‘stay strong’ even when life shatters you, so we all go about our day ‘acting strong’ instead of being 100% real with one another.

So, this month, make it a point of duty to reach out to people ‘blindly’, you never know who is ‘overwhelmed’ at the moment.

Drop me a line about your thoughts on the matter.

Happy New month!

Comments (14)

• Ayo Iyun Reply

Interesting. So true.

September 1, 2021 at 6:49 pm
    • Titi Olajide Cole Reply

What is interesting pls? Do write your thoughts/experience on the matter alagba.

September 1, 2021 at 9:46 pm
  • Esther Reply

Interesting, that is life.

September 1, 2021 at 7:20 pm
  • Esther Reply

Interesting

September 1, 2021 at 7:21 pm
    • Titi Olajide Cole Reply

How interesting Esther, need your thoughts/experience on being overwhelmed.

September 1, 2021 at 9:50 pm
    • TOKUNBO-COLE MARY OLAJUMOKE Reply

I agree we all are overwhelmed.
      We all put a happy go lucky facade and try to make light of every situation because let’s face it, that’s all we can do.
      Imagine a situation that every one is living in uncertainty not knowing what the next second brings. We all have situations that we have been so overwhelmed to the point that we are now drowning but what else can we do but stay strong and hang in there.
      As you rightly said people gravitate easily to God because that is all we can do to maintain our sanity.
      We all need each other to survive.

September 1, 2021 at 10:13 pm
  • Nesty Reply

Beautiful we need each other

September 1, 2021 at 7:31 pm
  • Ola Osagie Reply

It’s about time we start rethinking and challenging some of these BS rhetorics .
    They tell you to stay strong when there’s only a thread of hope to hang unto , really ! I lol in my mother tongue .

Like you , I’ve faced some circumstances in my life that shook me and honestly if there’s another word greater than overwhelmed , I felt it then and all I wanted to do was just run away and leave EVERYTHING behind . But i regain my senses and instead of running , I escape into my “safe place” where I can express my deepest thoughts and cares without an iota of not judgement .
    You ask where my “safe place” is ? Well it can be in my room when I’m all alone bearing it all before God , sometimes it’s when I’m with family or friends, sometimes it’s when I’m alone dropping all my worries for nothing but some quiet and peace .

So I guess it’s safe to say we as humans we can sometimes get overwhelmed we just need to find an appropriate coping mechanism . I’ll definitely reach out to some folks that I haven’t heard from I might just be able to draw some strength from them and vice versa .

September 1, 2021 at 8:35 pm
  • Austine Akinowa Reply

Truly, a lot of things overwhelm us… Hence, the dire need to always reach out to one another; be there for one another…
    Thanks Titi for constantly waking us up from our slumber!!

September 1, 2021 at 10:49 pm
  • Sade Shobowale Reply

Very nice topic
    One step at a time sis! That is what I do when it all gets too much!

September 1, 2021 at 11:22 pm
  • Aremu Job Adewole Reply

Being overwhelmed? Yeah, check this out, as a family man, you’re so happy you’ve got it correct in life, but all of a sudden, thing’s appeared negatively, that religious wife of yours can’t cope anymore with the phrase of “God will provide” , at that point, the landlord is waiting by the door to asked for your rent is due, again, your first son reminded you of his school fees you’ve earlier promised to pay same day, sorry an emergency call just rang in, your phone beeping consistently, you gazed over it, yea, that’s the creditor calling to inform you that time is up to settle your debt, overwhelmed! Different thoughts popped up in your mind, you’re hurt bitterly to the extent of losing weight, focus and hope, but thanks be to God, the greatest who undo every overwhelming situation in my life, He’s still doing same today, waking up each day with a tear of joy, get overwhelmed with Christ.

September 2, 2021 at 7:15 am
  • Sade Shobowale Reply

I posted a comment on the 1st September to the effect that when I get overwhelmed with issues ,I reset myself back to Square one as it were and I just take things one day at time. This is inspired by the song “One day at a time” the lyrics of which are pasted below:

I’m only human, I’m just a woman.
    Help me believe in what I could be
    And all that I am.
    Show me the stairway, I have to climb.
    Lord for my sake, teach me to take
    One day at a time.

One day at a time sweet Jesus
    That’s all I’m asking from you.
    Just give me the strength
    To do everyday what I have to do.
    Yesterday’s gone sweet Jesus
    And tomorrow may never be mine.
    Lord help me today, show me the way
    One day at a time.

Do you remember, when you walked among men?
    Well Jesus you know if you’re looking below
    It’s worse now, than then.
    Cheating and stealing, violence and crime
    So for my sake, teach me to take
    One day at a time.

One day at a time sweet Jesus
    That’s all I’m asking from you.
    Just give me the strength
    To do everyday what I have to do.
    Yesterday’s gone sweet Jesus
    And tomorrow may never be mine.
    Lord help me today, show me the way
    One day at a time.

When things get rough, we should look inside us and connect to the frequency of the Holy Spirit inside us to guide us and help us to prioritise the things we have to do instead of getting anxious about them. May God give us the strength to help us in our weaknesses in Jesus name!

September 11, 2021 at 12:31 am